Sunday, March 25, 2012

They say that being a parent can open one's eyes to how God can love us unconditionally.

I'm not a parent (surprising, I know) but there's something about these kids that's been teaching me a similar lesson. I didn't realize it until just a few minutes ago when I was telling a friend about them and couldn't help feeling a bit surprised at the things I said.

Here's what I realized:

I love them.

They're selfish. At first glance they see me only for what I can give them. They don't understand who I am. There's a good chance they never will.
They beat eachother up and laugh when one of them gets hurt. They're dirty, used and abused. They're neglected and starved. They're poor and forgotten.

They're innocent. They're children. They need me. They love it when I smile at them. They love it when I make them laugh. They need my encouragement. They need my presence.

Their laughter makes me smile as soon as I hear it. Their hugs touch me in ways I can't explain. When they sing there's nothing I'd rather do than just listen.

My heart comes alive at just the thought of them. I cherish their names. I cherish the time they take to be with me when I come to see them. I find I want to be known by them...not for myself but for them. I want them to remember I am their fan, I believe in them, I love them, I know their names, that they are important and remembered by someone, and that that makes them special.

I look at these kids and I know what I should think: that they are the ones that should be grateful to me for being with them like this. But I don't think that at all. Because all I can feel these days is gratitude for getting to be with them. I'm so grateful to know them, to be a part of their lives. I am the one who is grateful, and I'm even grateful for that.

 The truth is, I had no idea that any of this pertained to how God sees me. I didn't even see how it was possible until I felt it in my own heart for these kids. These precious, little ones that I already feel I could give up so much for after only knowing them for a few months.

All  I can say is, He is so good to us. His children. Whether in the slum or out of it. And I never want to stop thanking Him because of it.




3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Kylie. What an awesome insight! It also occurs to me that they have no clue what you've given up to be w/ them, just like we really can't comprehend what God gave up to come to earth, and to become sin for us. But illustrations like yours help us get a glimpse, so we can have an attitude of gratitude, and praise!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They all have such sweet faces. Thanks for sharing your journey

    ReplyDelete